University Orthopaedic Associates’ (UOA) own Dr. Matthew McDonnell recently appeared on an episode of Princeton Spine & Joint Center Podcast. Dr. McDonnell and host Dr. Zinovy Meyler of Princeton Spine and Joint had a far-ranging conversation on all things intervertebral disc.
They attempted to answer a common question from people with back pain: Should I get a spinal discectomy or a spinal fusion?
Along the way, Drs. McDonnell and Meyler discuss:
- Conditions treated by lumbar discectomy
- Conditions treated by spinal fusion
- The chance of recovery from a herniated disc
- Steps to take to treat back pain before turning to surgery
- The importance of patient education
- Decompressing nerve roots
…and much more. You can watch the video here.
If you have back pain and are considering surgery, request an appointment with Dr. McDonnell or another outstanding UOA spine expert. We can diagnose the underlying cause of your back pain and recommend a treatment plan that works for you and your lifestyle.Leave a reply →