About Dr. Coyle
Dr. Coyle is board certified in orthopaedic surgery. He obtained his medical degree from the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons after earning his undergraduate degree from the University of Notre Dame. He completed a two year surgical residency at the University of California Moffitt Hospital, followed by military service, Army Medical corps (Vietnam). He also completed a residency at New York Orthopaedic Hospital, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center. Following his residencies, he did a fellowship in hand and upper extremity surgery at New York Orthopaedic Hospital, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center. Dr. Coyle specializes in hand and upper extremity surgery.
- Subspecialty certified in surgery of the hand and upper extremity
- Specialty certified in orthopaedic sports medicine
- Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and Chief of Orthopaedic Hand Surgery at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Senior Orthopaedic consultant at Rutgers University Athletic Department and team physician (Football)
- Past President of the New York Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Senior member American Society for Surgery of the Hand and American Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine
- Past Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery Department and President of the Medical Staff at Saint Peter’s University Hospital
- Elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America® for over 14 years
- Earned Top Doctor Award
- University Center for Ambulatory Surgery (UCAS)
- Center for Ambulatory Resources (CARES)
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
- Saint Peter’s University Hospital
- Carroll, R.E., Coyle, M.P., Jr.: “Dysfunction of the Pisotriquetral Joint: Treatment by Excision of the Pisiform”. J.Hand Surg. 1985, 10A:703-707.
- Coyle, M.P., Jr., Leddy, J. P.: “Injuries at the Distal Finger”. Primary Care. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company, 1980. 7:245-258.
Coyle, M.P., Jr., Leddy, J.P.:”Injuries in the Flexor and Extensor Tendons”. Primary Care. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders company, 1980. 7:259-270.
- Coyle, M.P., Jr., Leddy, J. P., Imbriglia, J.: “Anterior Interosseous Nerve Compression Syndrome”. J.Hand Surgery, 1981. 6:290.
Coyle, M.P., Jr., Leddy, J.P.: “Anterior Intramuscular Transposition of the Ulnar Nerve”. Ortho Trans 1982, 6:363.
- Coyle, M.P., Jr., Leddy, J.P.: “Results of Re-operation On Previously Failed Surgery for Ulnar Neuropathy at the Elbow”. J.Hand Surg 1984, 9A:608.
- Coyle, M.P., Jr., Dushuttle, R., Zawadsky, J.P.: “Fracture of the Capitellum Humeri”. J.Trauma, March 1985.
- Coyle, M.P., Jr.: “Nerve Entrapment Syndrome: Principles of Orthopaedic Practice”. McGraw- Hill Book Co. NY, NY 1989. Chapter 40 Section B.
- Coyle, M.P., Jr., Green, D.P., Monsanto, E.H.: “Advances in Carpal Bone Injury and Disease”. Hand Clinics 5,, No. 3, August 1989. Philadelphia:W.B. Saunders Co.
- Ochner R.S., Bloom. H., Palumbo RC, Coyle MP: “Closed Reduction of Coronal Fractures of the Capitellum” J. Trauma 1996: 40: 199-203.
- Coyle, M.P., Jr.: Nerve Entrapment Syndromes, Upper Extremity: In Dee, Hurst, Gruber, Kottmeier 2nd ed. Principles of Orthopaedic Practice. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co. NY, NY 1997.
- Coyle, M.P., Jr., Sieler, S.D.: “Indications, Techniques and Therapeutics in Wrist Arthroscopy. Current Opinion in Orthopaedics 1995. 6(4):31-36.
- Gatt, C.G., Kirschenbaum D, Coyle M.P., Leddy J.P., Tan F.: The Effect of Distal Clavicle Excision on Repairs of eh Rotator cuff. Ortho Trans 1992, 16:321.
- Kirschenbaum, D., Coyle, M.P., Jr., Leddy, J.P., Katsaros, P., RPT, Tan, F., Jr.: “Shoulder Strength with Rotator Cuff Tears: Pre and Postoperative Analysis”. Clin Orthop Rel. Res. 1992, 288:174-178.
- Kirschenbaum, D., Coyle, M.P., Jr., Leddy, J.P.: “Chronic Lunotriquetral Instability: Diagnosis and Treatment”. J.Hand Surg. 1993, 18A:1107-1112.
Leddy, J.P., Coyle, M.P., Jr., Dushuttle, R: “Volar Dislocation of the PIP Joint in Athletes”. Ortho Trans 1982, 6:201.
- Ochner, R.S., Bloom, H., Palumbo, R.C., Coyle, M.P., Jr.: “Closed Reduction of Coronal Fractures of the Capitellum” J.Trauma 1996. 40:199-203.
- Ochner, R.S., Bloom, H., Palumbo, R.C., Coyle, M.P., Jr.: Correspondence Letter to the Editor. J.Bone Joint Surg. 1997. 79A:1271.
- Coyle, M.P., Jr., “Index Ray Resection” In Atlas of the Hand Clinics. Time-Tested Procedures in Hand Surgery. (Guest Ed. Kleinman WB). WB Saunders Co. Philadelphia Vol. 5 No.2 pg. 65- 76, 2000.
- Coyle, M.P. Jr., Leddy, T.P., Leddy, J.P. : “Staged Flexor Tendon Reconstruction, Fingertip to Palm” J. Hand Surgery 2002; 27A: 581-585.
- Coyle, M.P. Jr., “Grade III Radial Collateral Ligament Injuries of the Thumb Metacarpophalangeal Joint: Treatment By Soft Tissue Advancement and Bony Reattachment” J. Hand Surgery 2003; 28A 14-20.
- Coyle, MP, Leddy, TP. Flexor Tendon Injuries Zone 1. In: Mass D, Diao E, ed. Tendon Injuries in the Hand and Upper Extremity: A Master Skills Publication. Rosemont, IL: American Society for Surgery of the Hand, Chapter 7, Pages 77-86. 2011