About Dr. Pushilin
Dr. Sergei Pushilin is a board eligible orthopaedic surgeon with University Orthopaedic Associates (UOA). Prior to his position with the practice, he served as a clinical instructor of orthopaedic surgery at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.
Dr. Pushilin completed a trauma fellowship in orthopaedic surgery at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and a residency in orthopaedic surgery at State University of New York (SUNY) Downstate Medical Center. He received his medical degree from SUNY Downstate College of Medicine and graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor’s in psychology from Brooklyn College.
Along with numerous manuscript contributions, abstract publications and presentations, Dr. Pushilin has received several prestigious awards and distinctions, including:
- The Christopher Pavlides, MD Memorial Award
- The Brooklyn College Foundation Presidential Scholarship
- The Carolyn R. Freeman Award
Additionally, he is currently affiliated with the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and is a Candidate Member of the Orthopedic Trauma Association.
As part of advancing his training and expertise he completed a masters course at the Ilizarov Institute in Russia. There he studied and received clinical experience in advanced surgical techniques in deformity correction, post traumatic reconstruction, nonunion and infection treatment, bone transport, limb lengthening, and acute fracture care using the Ilizarov method.
Publications and Presentations
- Jauregui JJ, Buitrago CA, Pushilin SA, Browning BB, Maheshwari AV. Conversion of a surgically arthrodesed knee to a Total Knee Arthroplasty – Is it worth it? A Meta-Analysis. J Arthroplasty. 2016 Aug; 31(8):1736-41. PMID: 26883158.
- Kamran H, Salciccioli L, Pushilin S, Kumar P, Carter J, Kuo J. Novotney C, Lazar JM. Characterization of Cardiac Time Intervals in Healthy Bonnet Macaques (Macaca Radiata) By Using an Electronic Stethoscope. J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2011 Mar; 50(2):238-43. PMID: 21439218.
- Kamran H, Salciccioli L, Venkatesan B, Namana V, Kumar P, Pushilin S, Umer M, Lazar J. Determinants of a Blunted Carotid-to-Radial Pulse Wave Velocity Decline in Response to Hyperemia. Angiology. 2010 Aug; 61(6): 591-594. PMID: 20462899.
- Kamran H, Salciccioli L, Kumar P, Pushilin S, Namana V, Trotman S, Lazar J. The Relation Between Blood Pressure Changes Induced by Passive Leg Raising and Arterial Stiffness. J Am Soc Hypertens. 2010 Nov-Dec; 4(6):284-9. PMID: 20980216.
- Pivec R, Cooper CS, Hayden AJ, Hayes W, Chatterjee D, Pushilin S, Xavier F, Messina J, Illical E. Comparison of Tension Band Fixation of Olecranon Fractures with UHMWPE Braided Suture and Metal Wire. Canadian Orthopaedic Association, 2017 Annual Meeting, June 15-18th, Ottawa, Canada.
- Xavier F, Cornish N, Chatterjee D, Feuer G, Hayes W, Pushilin S, Paulino C, Saha S. Variations in Density and Shear Strength Within the Human Thoracic Vertebral Endpalte and Trabecular Bone. Orthopaedic Research Society, 2016 Annual Meeting, March 5-8th, Orlando, FL.
- Xavier F, Cornish N, Hayes W, Kapadia B, Pushilin S, Feuer G, Chatterjee D, Paulino C, Saha S. Divergent Configuration Improves Insertion Torque and Pullout Strength of Anterior Cervical Screws. Orthopaedic Research Society, 2016 Annual Meeting, March 5-8th, Orlando, FL.
- Jauregui JJ, Pushilin SA, Dixit A, Browning BB, Buitrago C, Trouw A, Cooper CS, Urban W, Maheshwari AV. Conversion of a Surgically Arthrodesed Knee to a Total Knee Arthroplasty – Is It Worth It? A Systematic Review. Orthopedics Today Hawaii 2016, Jan 10-14th, Waikoloa, HI.
- Heuberer PR, Chatterjee D, Neumaier M, Laky B, Pushilin S, Kriegleder B, Anderl W. Long-term MRI-Follow-Up and Quantification of Biodegradable Suture Anchor Drill Holes. Paper #355. AAOS – 2016 Annual Meeting, March 1st – 5th, Orlando,
Dr. Pushilin is a pillar of his community. He has served as a team physician for the NYC Public School Athletics League (PSAL), assisting with on-field coverage and screening physical for the high school team. He also volunteered in the Brooklyn Free Clinic, which provides medical care for uninsured and underserved patients in the Bedford-Stuyvesant area.
In his spare time, Dr. Pushilin enjoys staying active with activities that include swimming, hiking and camping, water sports and running. He also likes to travel, indulge in exotic cuisine and is fluent in English and Russian.