Fractures can occur for a number of reasons related to trauma to the bone. Traumatic injuries, including those sustained during falls, car accidents, or fights, can cause bone to break.
- Sharp, intense pain
- Popping or snapping sounds
- Swelling and inflammation near or around injury location
- A visible, unnatural bend in a bone
- Casting or bracing
- Locking plate technology
Stress fractures occur when constant use of muscle groups leads to stress on bone. These fractures can be caused by changes in the surface on which physical activities are performed.
- Pain during distance running
- Tenderness near or around injury location
- Swelling near or around injury location
- Rest for up to 8 weeks
- Continue exercise