Dr. Monica is board certified in orthopaedic surgery. He obtained his medical degree from the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons after completing his undergraduate degree from the Johns Hopkins University. He completed his internship at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital Department of Surgery and his residency at Harvard. He then completed his fellowships at the Massachusetts General Hospital specializing in hand and upper extremity surgery as well as open and arthroscopic shoulder surgery.
- Subspecialty certified in hand and upper extremity surgery
- 2017-2018 Best Doctors In America TM
- Inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society 2016
- Orthopaedic hand and upper extremity consultant for Princeton University Athletics
- Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Hospital Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Volunteer Faculty Teaching Award 2013
- Academic appointment as a Clinical Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Rutgers University – Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- “Top Doctors” Award, New Jersey Monthly, 2016
- Chief Resident, Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program, Massachusetts General Hospital 2009
- Resident Representative, Massachusetts General Hospital Committee on Teaching and Education 2007-2009
- Dr. Monica has contributed to the orthopaedic scientific community. He has published numerous peer-reviewed articles and book chapters, and his work has been presented at regional, national, and international scientific meetings in the United States, Scotland, and Korea.
- University Center for Ambulatory Surgery (UCAS)
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
- Saint Peter’s University Hospital
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center
- The Medical Center at Princeton
- Erin Honcharuk, MD; Complications Associated with Intra-articular and Extra-articular Corticosteroid Injections. JBJS Reviews,
- Monica J, Vredenburgh Z, Korsh J, Gatt C. Acute Shoulder Injuries in Adults. Am Fam Physician. 2016 Jul 15;94(2):119-27.
- Erickson J, Culp B, Kayiaros S, Monica J. Acute Multiple Flexor Tendon Injury and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome After Open Distal Radius Fracture. Am J Orthop. 2015 Nov; 44(11): E458-60.
- Zielinski SM, Keijsers NL, Praet SF, Heetveld MJ, Bhandari M, Wilssens JP, Patka P, Van Lieshout EM; FAITH Trial Investigators. Functional outcome after successful internal fixation versus salvage arthroplasty of patients with a femoral neck fracture. J Orthop Trauma. 2014 Dec;28(12):e273-80.
- FAITH Trial Investigators. Fixation using alternative implants for the treatment of hip fractures (FAITH): design and rationale for a multi-centre randomized trial comparing sliding hip screws and cancellous screws on revision surgery rates and quality of life in the treatment of femoral neck fractures. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2014 Jun 26;15:219.
- Erickson J, Lavery K, Monica J, Gatt C, Dhawan A. Surgical Treatment of Symptomatic Superior Labrum Anterior-Posterior Tears in Patients Older Than 40 Years: A Systematic Review. Am J Sports Med. 2014 Jun 24.
- Mathew G, Kowalczuk M, Hetaimish B, Bedi A, Philippon MJ, Bhandari M, Simunovic N, Crouch S, Ayeni OR; FAITH Investigators. Radiographic prevalence of CAM-type femoroacetabular impingement after open reduction and internal fixation of femoral neck fractures. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2014 Apr;22(4):793-800.
- Zielinski SM, Bouwmans CA, Heetveld MJ, Bhandari M, Patka P, Van Lieshout EM; FAITH Trial Investigators. The societal costs of femoral neck fracture patients treated with internal fixation. Osteoporos Int. 2014 Mar;25(3):875-85.
- Srikumaran U, Monica JT, Kuye IO, Warner JP. Recognition and Management of Subscapularis Tears. In: Maffulli N, Furia J, eds. Rotator Cuff Disorders: Basic Science and Clinical Medicine. JP Medical Ltd. 2012 pp 107-115.
- Monica JT, Ring D. Distal Radius Malunion.In: Bhandari M ed. Evidenced-Based Orthopaedics. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. October 2011.
- Monica JT, Mudgal C. Radial Head Arthroplasty: A Review. Hand Clinics. 26(3):403-10, August 2010.
- Waters PM, Monica JT, Earp B, Zurakowski D, Bae DS. Correlation of Muscle Imbalances with Glenohumeral Deformity in Children with Brachial Plexus Birth Palsy. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Am. 91: 2367-75, Oct 2009.
- Heyworth BE, Jobin CM, Monica JT, Crow SA, Lee JH, Rosenwasser MP. Long-Term Follow-Up of Basal Joint Resection Arthroplasty of the Thumb With Transfer of the Abductor Pollicis Brevis Origin to the Flexor Carpi Radialis Tendon. Journal of Hand Surgery. 34(6):1021-1028, August 2009.
- Monica JT, Waters PM, Bae DS. Radial Nerve Palsy in the Newborn: A Report of Four Cases and Literature Review. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 28(4):460-462, June 2008.
- Monica J, Mudgal C. Tension Band Wiring for Olecranon Fractures. Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 8: 185-193, December 2007.
- Monica JT, Kwolek CJ, Jupiter JB. Thoracic Outlet Syndrome with Subclavian Artery Thrombosis Undetectable by MRA: Case Report. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Am. 89: 1589-1593, July 2007.