Our Body Composition program utilizes the GE Lunar Prodigy Scan to provide you with a precise analysis of how your body mass is broken down. This scan is superior to other methods of body composition testing because of its accuracy and ability to distinguish factors including age, gender and regional body analysis. The Body Composition scan provides accurate data on 3 primary measurements:
- Bone Mass
- Lean Tissue Mass
- Fat Tissue Mass
- Offered to anyone who is interested in learning more about his or her body composition
- Useful for a healthy individuals undergoing a strength and conditioning regimen
- Helpful tool for people beginning a weight loss program to determine what their starting point is and to later reference when gauging progress
For more information, read our blog about GE Lunar DXA Scanner for body composition.
Explanation & Preparation Instructions
- DXA total body composition with regional analysis can be used to assess both muscle and fat distribution and to assess fat and lean mass changes.
- Body composition measures of adiposity and lean mass include visceral adipose tissue (VAT), appendicular lean mass index, and android/gynoid percent fat mass ratio (waist to hip ratio).
- Pregnancy is a contraindication for DXA body composition. All female clients will read and sign a pregnancy questionnaire prior to scanning.
- Consistent preparation for body composition is important for precise measures.
- Scans should be scheduled in the morning.
- No exercise the morning of the scan.
- Fasting is recommended the day of the scan. Limit your water intake.
- Clothing should be light. Sports bras, exercise shorts or leggings without any metal, buttons or zippers are recommended. Please leave your jewelry at home.
- Your bladder should be emptied prior to scanning.
Offered by appointment:
- To schedule your DXA total body composition, please call Carla Novoa, RT, R, CBDT at 732-537-0909, extension 1109.
Single-body composition DEXA scan with consultation: $175.00*
Two consecutive body composition DEXA scans with consultation: $250.00*
DEXA scanning is only performed Monday through Friday during regular business hours.
*Both scans must be completed within one year. Total fee must be paid up front. Cash or credit card payments are accepted.
The scan takes between 7 and 10 minutes, followed by a consultation lasting about 30 minutes. Your consultation will be with our Director of Sports Performance & Wellness, Blake Swan, CSCS, TSAC-F, FMS, CPT, PHB. You may contact him directly 732-236-7969 or email him at BlakeS@uognj.com
2 World’s Fair Drive
Somerset, NJ 08873
Please give 24 hour notice for any cancellations.