About Dr. Swan
Dr. Kenneth G. Swan, Jr obtained his medical degree from Cornell University, where he also earned his undergraduate degree with a B.S. in Nutritional Sciences. He completed his internship and residency at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ). He subsequently did a Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery Fellowship at the University of Colorado.
- Board Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Subspecialty Trained and Certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- Fellow of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Team Physician, Woodbridge Township School District, Woodbridge, NJ
- Team Physician, Perth Amboy High School, Perth Amboy, NJ
- “Gold Doc” Humanism Award, Arnold P. Gold Foundation, 2014
- “Top Docs” Award, Inside Jersey Magazine, 2012, 2013
- Clinical Assistant Professor, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Volunteer Faculty Award, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 2011
- Resident Teaching Award, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, 2005
- Extensive Medical & Academic Publications and Presentations
- Member, Cornell University Varsity Football, Ivy League Championship Team, 1990
- Inductee, Columbia High School Athletic Hall of Fame (Wrestling), Maplewood, NJ
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
- Saint Peter’s University Hospital
- Raritan Bay Medical Center
- CentraState Healthcare System
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center
- Swan, KG: Runners Knee. Woodbridge News, April 28, 2014
- Swan KG, McCarty EC, Rabalais RD. Osteochondral autograft for cartilage lesions of the knee. In: Surgical Techniques of the Shoulder, Elbow and Knee in Sports Medicine. Second Ed. Cole BJ and Sekiya JK. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA 2013.
- Starr AM, Swan KG, Swan KG. Isolated anterior compartment syndrome after a bimalleolar equivalent ankle fracture in a collegiate football player. Sports Health 2011; 3:560-563.
- Swan KG, Leu A, McCarty EC. Septic arthritis of the acromioclavicular joint in an elite ice hockey player. Adv Orthop 2010; 2(3):106-109.
- McCarty EC, Rabalais RD, Swan KG. Allograft cartilage transplantation. In: Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery. Ed. Weisel SW. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA 2010.
- Swan KG, Baldini T, McCarty EC. An Updated Biomechanical Comparison of Arthroscopic Sutures and Knots. Am J Sports Med 2009; 37(8):1578-1584.
- Swan KG, Wright DS, Barbagiovanni SS, et al. Tourniquets Revisited. J Trauma 2009; 66(3):672-675.
- Capo JT, Swan KG, Tan V. Augmented external fixation for distal radius
fractures. In: Atlas of Minimally Invasive Hand and Wrist Surgery. Eds. Capo JT and Tan V. Informa Healthcare USA, New York, NY 2008.
- Rabalais RD, Swan KG, McCarty EC. Osteochondral autograft for cartilage lesions of the knee. In: Surgical Techniques of the Shoulder, Elbow and Knee in Sports Medicine. Ed. Cole BJ and Sekiya JK. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA 2008.
- Swan KG, Rizio L. Combined avulsion fracture of the tibial tubercle and avulsion of patellar ligament. Orthopaedics 2007; 30(7):571-572.
- Swan KG, Wolcott M. The athletic hernia: A systematic review. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2007; 455:78-87.
- Swan KG, Rabalais RD, McCarty E. Osteochondral autograft plug transfer for cartilage lesions Techniques in Knee Surgery 2006;5(3):149-157
- Capo JT, Swan KG, Tan V. External fixation techniques for distal radius fractures. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2006;445:30-41.
- Gurie L, Swan KG, Swan KG. James Hogarth Pringl. J Trauma: Injury, Infection and Critical Care. 2004;58(1):201-205.
- Swan KG, Vives M. Bracing and Orthoses. In: Essentials in Orthopaedics: Spine. Eds. Einhorn T and Tornetta P. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2004.
- Swan KG, Capo JT, Tan V. Distal radius plating options. Current Opinion in Orthopaedics. 2003; 14:238-244.
- Swan KG, Lobo M, Lane JM, et al. Osteoporosis in men: A serious but under-recognized problem. J Musculoskel Med. 2001; 18:310-316
- Swan KG, Swan BC, Swan KG. Decelerational thoracic injury: an enigma. Journal of Trauma: Injury, Infection and Critical Care. 2001; 51:970-974.
- Swan KG, Swan KG. Ballistics of gunshot injuries. In: Trauma Management. Eds. Demetriades D and Asensio JA. Landes Bioscience, Georgetown, Texas, 2000.
- Swan KG, Swan KG. Triage: the past revisited. Military Medicine. 1996; 161: 448-452.