About Dr. Buckley
Dr. Patrick S. Buckley is a fellowship trained orthopaedic surgeon at University Orthopaedic Associates (UOA). Dr. Buckley is a sports medicine specialist with advanced training in the treatment of knee, shoulder and hip injuries. His clinical interests include:
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction
- Cartilage resurfacing
- Knee alignment correction
- Knee arthroscopy
- Meniscus repair
- Multi-ligament knee injury
- Hip arthroscopy and femoroacetabular impingement (FAI)
- Orthopaedic trauma surgery
- Rotator cuff repair
- Shoulder arthritis
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Shoulder instability
- Shoulder replacement
- Biceps tendon rupture
- Throwing injuries
- Elbow pain/tendonitis
- Ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) injury
- Achilles tendon rupture
- Platelet rich plasma (PRP) injection
Dr. Buckley completed his fellowship in sports medicine at The Steadman Clinic and the Steadman Philippon Research Institute in Vail, CO. Prior to this, he completed his residency in orthopaedic surgery at the Rothman Institute and Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA. He graduated cum laude with his medical degree from Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University and graduated cum laude from Villanova University.
During his residency, Dr. Buckley helped provide team coverage for Villanova University, the Philadelphia Phillies and the Philadelphia Marathon. Then, during his fellowship training, Dr. Buckley treated professional athletes from the NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, MLS and professional ballet companies. Furthermore, he traveled to Japan and New Zealand to provide team coverage for the U.S. Olympic Ski and Snowboard team athletes. He continues to be an active US Olympic Ski and Snowboard physician pool member.
In addition to publishing research in peer reviewed journals and presenting at national and international meetings, Dr. Buckley has been awarded several accolades, including:
- The Clinical Fellow Award for Outstanding Basic Science Research, Steadman Philippon Research Institute, 2018
- The Outstanding Fellow Teaching Award,The Steadman Clinic, 2018
- The Everett J. Gordon Chief Resident Award, Rothman Institute at Thomas Jefferson Hospital, 2017
- The Medical Student Teaching Award, Rothman Institute at Thomas Jefferson Hospital, 2013 & 2017
- The Mark Chilton Compassion Award, Rothman Institute at Thomas Jefferson Hospital, 2014
- Selection as Graduation Speaker by medical school classmates, Jefferson Medical College, 2012
- Membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, Jefferson Medical College, 2011-2012, Vice President, 2012
His professional associations include:
- The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery (AAOS)
- The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- The American Shoulder and Elbow Society (ASES)
- The Steadman Clinic Fellowship Alumni Association
- The Jefferson Orthopaedic Society
His hospital affiliations include:
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Neptune, NJ
- Surgical Institute, Neptune, NJ
Presentations and Publications
- Buckley PS, Frangiamore SJ, Arnoczky SP, Noonan T, Ciccotti MG, Huard J, Hackett TR. Variations in Blood Supply From Proximal to Distal in the Ulnar Collateral Ligament of the Elbow: A Qualitative Descriptive Cadaveric Study. Am J Sports Med. 2019 Mar 21: 363546519831693. doi: 10.1177/0363546519831693. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kennedy MI, Bernhardson AS, Moatshe G, Buckley PS, Engebretsen L, LaPrade RF. Fibular Collateral Ligament/Posterolateral Corner Injury: When to Repair, Reconstruct, or both. Clin Sports Med. 2019 Apr;38(2):261-274. doi: 10.1016/j.csm.2018.11.002. Epub 2019 Jan 19. Review.
- Buckley PS, Bolia IK, Briggs KK, Philippon MJ. The Evolution of Treated versus Untreated Femoroacatabular Impingement in a Professional Hockey Player with a 10-year Follow-Up: A Case Report. JBJS Case Connect. 2019 Mar 13. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.CC.18.00178. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kennedy MI, DePhillipo NN, Moatshe G, Buckley PS, Bernhardson AS, LaPrade RF. Technical Note: Proximal tibiofibular ligament reconstruction in Adolescent Patients. Arthroscopy Techniques 2018 Nov 26;7(12) e 1305-1310.
- Kennedy MI, DePhillipo NN, Chahla J, Armstrong C, Ziegler CG, Buckley PS, Bernhardson AS, LaPrade RF. Technical Note: Surgical Repair of Dynamic Snapping Biceps Femoris Tendon. Arthroscopy Techniques. 2018 Nov;7(11) e1129-1133.
- Begly JP, Buckley PS, Utsunomiya H, Briggs K, Philippon MJ. Femoroacetabular Impingement in Professional Basketball Players: Return to Play, Career Length, and Performance After Hip Arthroscopy. Am J Sports Med 2018 Nov;46(13):3090-3096.
- Altintas B, Buckley PS, Millett PJ. Editorial Commentary: Arthroscopic Subscapularis Repair: Bridging Successful Tendon Healing and Improved Patient Outcomes. Arthroscopy. 2018 Sep;34(9):2549-2551.
- Ciccotti MC, Stull JD, Buckley PS, Cohen SB. Correlation of MRI to Arthroscopy in the Elbow: Thrower’s Elbow and Ulnar Collateal Ligament. Sports Med. Arthrosc. 2017 Dec;25(4):191-198.
- Buckley PS, Bishop M, Kane P, Selverian S, Hammoud S, Freedman K, Cohen SB, Ciccotti MG. Early single Sport Specialization: A Survey of 3090 High School, Collegiate, and Professional Athletes. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine. 2017 Jul 28; 5(7):1-7. 2325967117703944 DOI: 10.1177/2325967117703944
- Atanda A, Buckley PS, Hammoud S, Cohen SB, Nazarian LN, Ciccotti MG. Early Anatomic Changes of the Ulnar Collateral Ligament Identified by Stress Elbow Ultrasound in Young Professional Baseball Pitchers. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2015 Dec; 43(12):2943-9.
- Huang R, Buckley PS, Scott B, Parvizi J, Purtill JJ. Administration of aspirin as a prophylaxis agent against venous thromboembolism results in lower incidence of periprosthetic joint infection. J Arthroplasty. 2015 Sep; 30 (9 Suppl): 39-41.
- Cohen SB, Buckley PS, Neuman B, Leland M, Ciccotti MG, Lazarus M. A Functional Analysis of Distal Biceps Tendon Repair: Single Incision Endobutton Technique vs Two-Incision Modified Boyd-Anderson Technique. Phys Sportsmed. 2015 Dec 30:1-4 PMID:26641953.
- Buckley PS, Kane J, Ciccotti MG. IgG Deficiency Identified Following Infection After Partial Medial Menisectomy: A Case Report. JBJS-Case Connector. 2016;6:e69.
- Buckley PS, Pedowitz DI. Surgical Tip: Bone Reduction Clamp to Gain Length in Repairing Chronic Achilles Tendon Ruptures. Orthopaedics. 2016 Aug 9:1-3.
- Buckley PS, Raikin SR. Operative treatment of infections in the foot and ankle. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics. 2016. 26:45-52.
- Buckley PS, Guille JT. Evaluation of a Patient with a Congenital Spinal Deformity. Seminars in Spine Surgery. Vol. 22. Issue 3, 113-117. September 2010.
- Buckley PS, Parvizi J. Growth Factors in Total Joint. Interactive Educational Program- Total Joint. Book Chapter published online. http://www.totaljoint-iep.com.
- Buckley PS, Dodson CC. Repair of a proximal hamstring rupture in a 14 year-old pediatric patient: A case report. HSS J. 2018 Oct;14(3):302-306. doi: 10.1007/s11420-018-9620-x. Epub 2018 Jun 18.
- Goel R, Buckley PS, Sterbis E, Parvizi J. Patients with Infected Total Hip Arthroplasty Undergoing 2-Stage Exchange Arthroplasty Experience Massive Blood Loss. J Arthroplasty. 2018 Nov;33(11):3547-3550.
- Ciccotti MC, Buckley PS, Ciccotti MG. Chapter 44: Youth Baseball Injury Epidemiology and Baseball Specialization. Baseball Sports Medicine. Philadelphia, PA. Wolters Kluwer, 2019. Print.
- Buckley PS. The Adolescent Overhead Throwing Athlete. Presented at Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds at The Steadman Clinic, Vail, CO. October 30, 2017.
- Buckley PS, Bishop M, Kane P, Selverian S, Hammoud S, Freedman K, Cohen SB, Ciccotti MG. Early Single Sport Specialization: A Survey of 3,090 High School, Collegiate, and Professional Athletes. Presented at the 2017 American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Annual Meeting. July 20-23, 2017. Toronto, Canada.
- Buckley PS. Overlapping Surgery in 2017: Understanding the Debate and What’s Next. Presented at General Surgery Grand Rounds. April 27, 2017. Philadelphia, PA.
- Buckley PS. Overlapping Surgery in Orthopaedics. Presented at Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds. April 7, 2017. Philadelphia, PA.
- Buckley PS, Bishop M, Kane P, Selverian S, Hammoud S, Freedman K, Cohen SB, Ciccotti MG. Early Single Sport Specialization: A Survey of 3,090 High School, Collegiate, and Professional Athletes. Presented at the 2017 American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting. March 14-18, 2017. San Diego, California.
- Buckley PS, Bishop M, Kane P, Selverian S, Hammoud S, Freedman K, Cohen SB, Ciccotti MG. Early Single Sport Specialization: A Survey of 3,090 High School, Collegiate, and Professional Athletes. Presented at the 47th Annual Meeting of the Eastern Orthopaedic Association. October 17-20, 2016. New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Buckley PS, Chou D, Kane J, Freedman K, Cohen SB, Ciccotti MG. Contract Structure Predicts Return to Play Following ACL Surgery in Professional Athletes. Breakout session presentation at the 46th Annual Meeting of the Eastern Orthopaedic Association. June 17-20, 2015. Maui, Hawaii.
- Huang R, Buckley PS, Parvizi J, Purtill JJ. Administration of aspirin as a prophylaxis agent against venous thromboembolism results in lower incidence of periprosthetic joint infection. Game Changer podium presentation at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. April 2015. Las Vegas, NV.
- Buckley PS, Atanda A, Hammoud S, Nazarian LN, Cohen SB, Ciccotti MG. Early anatomic changes of the ulnar collateral ligament identified by stress ultrasound in young, professional baseball pitchers. Presentation at Jefferson Annual Research Day. Philadelphia, PA. May 1, 2015.
- Buckley PS, Mortazavi SM, Parvizi J. Blood Management in Two-Stage Total Hip Arthroplasty following Infection. Presentation at Musculoskeletal Infection Society Annual Meeting in San Antonio, Tx. August 10 -11, 2012.
Dr. Buckley is a proud member of his community and has volunteered for several nonprofit organizations, including Habitat for Humanity and the Special Olympics. In his spare time, he enjoys basketball, hiking, skiing, travelling and spending time with his family.